Okay, Jane got me thinking about how else to do this design, so that the ends could be hidden within a final ring. So, this is what I tried next.
I started a mock ring with the bead as in previous post, but only went halfway around. Then I continued with the chain, going into the rest of the pattern. The picots in the photo that appear "flattened" are the ones I had tested the beads on to see if they would fit.
When I got to the top I stopped halfway across the top of the bead, and finished the rest with a split chain. Not really that much more trouble to maneuver with the bead being there, split chains being some trouble, anyway - for me, at least!
So anyway, I got one earring done, with the ends hidden in the top ring. Whew! We'll see if this project makes it all the way to being a pair!