Friday, June 27, 2008

"Purple Punch" dye batch has a mind of its own

Well, some skeins have a light lavender section, and some don't. And the skeins in the mini sets that were supposed to be dark purple turned out blue, instead. Sigh...well I think they are pretty, anyway. These are hand dyed, after all.

I started some tatting with the "Purple Punch" in size 40, combined with white, to give you an idea of how it works up. Some people who already have my "Lola" batch may see a similarity, but "Lola" purposely had a lighter blue in it. BTW, the beautiful tatting shuttle in the photo is a handmade ceramic shuttle by LadyShuttleMaker.
Linen threads in 3 sizes were included in this batch, for the bobbin lacers, etc.

8 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful! I love my Purple Punch!

Anonymous said...

Marilee,
your photos are always composed so beautifully. The flower is delightful.
Been tatting with Lola and Rain Forest lately, in a class with Mark Myers. Gorgeous.
Thanks for your inspiring work!
Katie V

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Aren't the inconsistent results in hand dyeing just irksome sometimes?

That is the reason all my batches are so small...I can't afford any waste.

But I don't see anything wrong with purple punch...dare I say it looks even more fab?

Marilee Rockley said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the skein from my first batch, Diane. These are just a bit more intense, and a tad darker.

Thank you Katie, for the compliments on my photos. Lucky you, to have a class with Mark Myers! Hope you have loads of fun.

Ladyshuttlemaker, you know how it is - sometimes the dye reacts in strange ways. But I think we enjoy HDT so much because it's never the same old, same old - it's always unique!

Tattycat said...

Oh, Marilee this is so pretty. The white really sets it off. I shall have to visit your shop again!

Unknown said...

It's Hand Dyed and that is what makes it so special. The colours are so vibrant they just jump out at you.

Marilee Rockley said...

Tattycat, I do think white looks nice with HDT. Using white or a solid as the 2nd thread allows the HDT to go farther.

Clyde, I agree. Even though this batch didn't really "behave" like I had planned, it's still beautiful thread, and tats up like a dream.

Gina said...

I think the colors are uniquely beautiful. One of the pitfalls of HDT is consistency but I really kinda doubt that it is EVER wasted. LOL! I love the design on Sherry's shuttle.
:-) Gina