Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Vibrato, Magenta, and Cerulean

"Vibrato" is the name I finally decided upon for this colorway, which includes both magenta and cerulean blue, shading from dark to light in both colors.

Vibrato, as a musical term, means a rapid fluctuation of pitch, slightly above or below the main pitch. This gives a singing effect.

The colors in this hand dyed thread seem to vibrate back and forth, so it seemed that "Vibrato" would be a good name. I did only a small batch as a first experiment, to work out the dye amounts, etc., to get these particular shades. I like it! So, if other folks do too, more will come.

I also did a few skeins as solids in magenta and cerulean, attempting to get the colors as rich and "jewel tone" as possible.

These will be 2 of the thread colors that I am planning to put into kits for the beaded tatting class that I am planning. I think the other 2 will be "Peace" and "Tigereye". Then there will be 2 jewel tone solids, 1 variegated pastel, and 1 variegated earth tones for the students to choose from.




10 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Those colors are absolutely gorgeous!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful colors! The way you have the threads displayed reminds me of a cello.

Tattycat said...

This is beautiful! Vibrato is the perfect name. If only I didn't already have a drawer of hand dyed thread........

Ridgewoman said...

The cerulean solid is wonderful; will it show up on your etsy site? Let me know! It's in the blue family. LOL
hugs
I didn't know you played the Cello and liked classical music. I'm an Edvard Greig fan and DH and I love to go to symphony (when we were in civilization - CA) Nice to have more than one common interest. DH played first violin all through Jr Hi and Hi School.
XXXXX

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Oh yes! These are gorgeous! Well done!

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you all! I'm glad you like these colors. The bead shop lady suggested the solids. I decided to combine them in some way, and got "Vibrato". It took a while before the name came to me; glad you like it, tattycat.

So, Diane, the cello follows me even into my thread displays, oh for heaven's sake - I haven't even been practicing for a while! (summer break) The cello reference never would have occured to me if you hadn't mentioned it.

Tattingchic and ladyshuttlemaker, so very glad to get your stamp of approval on the colors.

BJ, you've received an email about the blue, etc. Thanks for stopping by!

Jeff Hamilton said...

That is a really nice colourway, Marilee. I also really like the blue you used. But, I'm sure you already knew that! I will be waiting for you to dye more of Vibrato and the Cerulean blue solid.

Unknown said...

This colour combination is another winner.

Salaam & Shanti Bariatric Yoga said...

Marilee as always your threads are breathtakingly beautiful.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, Jeff, glad to hear that you are waiting for more. The colors do sell out fast! It is a time-consuming process, so the amounts are always limited.

Nice to have your approval on the colors, Clyde.

Thanks for the compliment, Hanane! Glad you stopped by.