Thursday, May 29, 2008

Using a floss threader to add beads to a picot

I use a floss threader to string beads when the crochet hook method doesn't work. They can be found at the drugstore with the dental supplies. Floss threaders have a stiffened end at the tip, and the loop part is very flexible and fits through small beads. I've just discovered that there is a way it can be used to add beads to a picot as well.

Then your beads are on the picot, and a paper clip or safety pin can hold them on until you are ready to join to that picot.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Fern" dye batch

All laceweight yarns and threads - relatively speaking. The heaviest is the size 3/2 pearl cotton, which is about the same weight as a fingering yarn. The finest is the size 100 crochet cotton, closely followed by the 60/2 linen. I don't think linen is suitable for tatting (I'm open to listen to arguments to the contrary) but I know that people use it for bobbin lace, fine weaving, embroidery, etc., so I decided to add it to the batch.

The greens are mixed in all the hanks except for the wool/silk yarn. This is because they have been rewound from an original longer skein. Not really a "slow color change" batch, "Fern" is more of a "many color change" batch, due to the 6 different shades of green, plus the shadings in between. A bit more work than some of my other color combos, but I have have charged the same prices for these as my usual skeins.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

She can be taught...the "Dimpled Yorkie"

I think I have figured out how to do the "Dimpled Yorkie", thanks to the very nice video by LadyShuttleMaker and the clear diagrams by Jane E. Many thanks to Sue Hanson for inventing this method and sharing it with all tatters!

New dye batch of "Fern", (shaded greens) coming soon!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Hair scrunchie - and a music critique in tatting

Got my hair scrunchie done!
The idea came from TattingChic's post here. I made mine in size 10, and the color is my own hand dyed "Lola", which I am sorry to say that I'm currently sold out of in my Etsy shop, but I will get some more made.

O.T. I have been practicing my cello for a classical concert that includes difficult music by 2 very different composers. Here is my music critique in tatting of their respective styles:
Enough said.

Monday, May 12, 2008

More sets

This is what came out as a dye series set for "Rhubarb Pie". I think the dark pink next to the red should have been lighter, maybe, to blend better. But still, these colors look so cheerful and spring-like.

Taking a break from dyeing this week - I have to play my cello in a big concert this weekend, so I need to practice, practice, practice!

But I still want to tat a hair scrunchie like the one on TattingChic's blog!

Saturday, May 10, 2008

More than I can "chew"

Ok, I got carried away
and made too much "Rhubarb Pie"...

...more than I have time to load into my shop all at once. Sorry - I'll add the finer sizes and the mini sets on Monday.
I also got the bright idea (crazy idea?) of dyeing some yarns for other purposes than tatting in the same colors.
There is even a linen, that I think might work for bobbin lace.

So, that is what I've been up to this week.

Saturday, May 3, 2008

So much color

Here is the "Nectarine" set (on top) shown with the "Tourmaline" set (beneath, on right). I will be so thrilled to see what gets made with these!

I have made more progress on weaving bag #5. Perhaps this one will have a slightly different construction, to make the bag roomier. I'll experiment.

Nectarine sets

A few of these sets have been added to my shop in sizes 20 and 30. Also more Tourmaline. Have fun looking!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Drying time

The latest dye batches of cotton thread, "Tourmaline" and "Nectarine" hanging to dry. Each of these has a few "dye series sets" included. Next is "Rhubarb Pie"! In fact, I will start winding skeins immediately for it.

Meanwhile, my loom was calling me to come back to handweaving, so I have started bag #5.