Here's a peak at what I feel are the more successful results of my latest designing experiments. On each of these, I added a bead to the center.
In the pink pair, the bead dangles from the black thread. I've also used seed beads on the core thread. The reason I put them on the core is because I wanted the curved line to stay relatively smooth in the design. If beads were dangled from picots, they'd stick out and make the line bumpy. Gravity would cause problems, too.
On the ecru pair, the bead dangles from the thread used in the main motif. I didn't unwind my shuttle to make the tatted ring on the other side of the bead. I just pulled the thread through and made a loop tatted ring.
The technique of making a loop tatted ring is described by Bina on her website.
Someday I may get around to posting in-progress photos of the various techniques I'm using in these experiments, but for now I'm still trying to achieve the results that I really want in this design. These 2 sets are sort of cute but the basic pattern still needs tweaking. I'll keep working - I'll know what I like when I see it!