Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sugar Maple

A quick walk around the neighborhood today turned up the prop I needed for today's photo shoot - a colorful Sugar Maple leaf! I'm quite pleased with how my hand dyed thread looks in comparison to nature's beauty.

There's not much bright yellow showing in this particular batch, although I did paint yellow on. It sort of got blended into the surrounding colors - although some of the skeins show more yellow than others. My plan for a future batch (a remake of "A Leaf Falls") will have more yellow in it and green, but no orange. Then, at some point I'll try to dye something with darker, brownish shades.

11 comments:

BSOTF said...

Marilee,
This thread looks amazing. It matches the fall colors perfectly!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I LOVE this colorway! Maybe it's time for another Spinning Wheel! : )

Typstatting said...

Totally love the colour of that thread I just love the colours of Autumn!

God's Kid said...

This one is early autumn and the one with more yellow would be later autumn. :D

IsDihara said...

Ooh, you've got me salivating for fall threads, even though my A/C is out and I'm sweltering (at 9:00 p.m.) in a 90-degree house!

I'm too hot to tat, so (of course!) I'm reading the blogs. Looking forward to your new Autumn HDTs, as well as the glorious ones we have seen before.

Anonymous said...

So cool!! I think the Fall season is my favorite... getting cooler out, the leaves changing (oh, time to rake them up and play in them)!

You know what I've been craving, though? Pumpkin Pie.... wouldn't it be so cool to have that colorway in HDT???
Wink, wink... hint, hint
LOL

Hmmm... that wouldn't be considered a custom-order, would it??

:-)

Anonymous said...

love love it.

Suztats said...

How perfect is that! Since autumn is my favourite time of the year (weather-wise)and the maple is one of my fave trees, this HDT is perfect. I have a little bit of this thread that I've been saving. Maybe it's time to tat some maple leaves.

zarina said...

Marilee - this really look like the actual leaf. It is fun (and frustrating) to see how the HDTs come out.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you so much, everyone.

Pumpkin Pie?? Well, maybe with whipped cream...cinnamon and cloves...hmmm ;-)

tattrldy said...

Lovely! I'll bet it tats up beautifully.