Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Swords Into Plowshares" pattern finished


 The pattern for this tatted necklace is finished!
The design was inspired by the Biblical passage, "They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks...." Micah 4:3 and Isaiah 2:4.

The file is 6 pages of written instruction, in-progress photos, and a diagram, and is now listed in my Etsy shop. It's quite a challenging project, using techniques that include floating ring, split chain, and bead in center of ring.

In the directions I put, "just a normal join" in several places for clarity - mostly for my own benefit! During the designing process I kept thinking I was going to have to use a Catherine Wheel join somewhere, but didn't need it after all.

As these photos show, I've been having fun trying different color combos while testing the pattern. Several colors that I wanted to use didn't exist in my stash, so of course that means I need to get my dye equipment out for more hand dyed thread batches!


18 comments:

Fox said...

Very beautiful design. Congrats!
Fox ; )

donna said...

I've been anxiously awaiting this pattern. I've got some lovely dagger beads that will be perfect! I've already gone to etsy to purchase the pattern...I've got a four hour car trip coming Saturday and I'm going to work on it then.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, so much, Fox!

Donna, I hope the project goes well for you! It's sort of fiddly getting the beads on the size 10 thread, but I think the results are worth it.

tattrldy said...

I can see the swords, that is, after I stopped looking at it one element at a time! Lovely pattern.

H J Hess said...

More HDT on the way?

Decoromana said...

Beautiful necklace, love your designs!

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks! I tried to give the suggestion of sword handles, with the blade flattened into a plowshare.

Marilee Rockley said...

Yes, I am rinsing out a quick batch of "Roses" and will do more batches as time allows. I will have some size 20 in that, but a temporary shortage is looming for size 20 - I'm starting to run out of size 20 Lizbeth white on cones. My thread supplier, Barb at Handy Hands Tatting, has had them on back order for months.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks so much!

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful pattern, I have some silver pieces that would look good on the ends, I will go to your esty store and buy the pattern soon.
Margaret

Aggie said...

These necklaces are very beautiful:)
Best regards, Aggie

Gunhild said...

Oh so nice design, Marilee! But please, take care when wearing two khifes right near to your neck ;-)).
Guni

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.