Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pansy

A new batch of "Pansy" thread, hand dyed by me. In this photo I've started tatting the pansy motif from the Priscilla Tatting Book #2, a vintage book in public domain. If you go to http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/publicindex.html and scroll down a bit, the link to the book is on the right hand side. There are a lot of vintage books listed there! Other online archives have vintage patterns for free, too.

I didn't have time to finish the pansy before getting the hand dyed thread listed on Etsy, but I hope to get it finished into some sort of hair ornament by Easter. Most likely I'll use a solid color around the outside edge. For now I'm just following the pattern as given, the best I can. It occurred to me that there could be some improvements by replacing the center ring with a self-closing mock ring and having the petals as floating rings from that, but I'm not sure. I need to finish this one first in order to understand how the basic pattern works.

14 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Ooh! So very pretty!

Stephanie said...

My absolute favorite-est of your threads EVER!

Ladytats said...

just had to go buy a skein. very pretty, I love Pansys

Red said...

Love it!

Carol said...

I just love your colorways! They are so pretty.

Mónica said...

¡Hermosos colores!...muchas gracias por el dato.

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful pansy, gorgeous thread
Margaret

Cindy said...

What a beautiful colorway - pansies are so "happy"!

Monica said...

What a lovely, subtle colorway!

And it matches the clover shuttle...

Marj said...

Thread is beautiful. I must be missing something. I went to page to find pattern listing and can't find it. Could you help me. Pansys were my Mom's favorite flower and I would love to tat some in her memorie. Thanks Marj

God's Kid said...

That color is GORGEOUS!!! :)
And the pansy motif is looking great!! :)

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, everyone.
Marj, the pattern is in the PDF file for Priscilla Tatting Book #2 - please note that the link will download the entire book and may take a while on a slow connection. There is no way to get just the one pattern as far as I know. The pansy pattern is on page 17/18. Here's the link to the book:
www.georgiaseitz.com/public/pris2.pdf

Marilee Rockley said...

By the way, the thread sold out really fast, I will make more!

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful thread and darling pattern. I am glad to hear you are going to make some more thread. My Grandmother who tatted grew pansies in her garden and they have sentimental value to me to make some sort of tribute to her.