Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The frog necklace idea didn't work, so I made this instead


 This asymmetrical necklace uses the bits I was going to put into my original frog necklace idea, which I abandoned after seeing that the frog was just too big and heavy to balance in a necklace. I do like the simpler necklace that resulted, though, it has a bold steampunk/industrial chic look. Working with size 3 Lizbeth thread is a little outside of my "comfort zone", since I have to use a larger shuttle and more physical strength to tat it. I like my knots/double stitches firm and tight, so with the size 3 it takes harder pulls to get them the way I want. Normally my favorite thread sizes for tatting jewelry are 10 and 20, with 20 being the easiest to work with.

The frog in size 3 really is a nice size closure for a jacket or cardigan, though, so I will offer it for sale simply as a frog. By the way, the pattern for the frog (in size 20 thread) is in "Up and Tat 'Em". The only change I made to the pattern when using size 3 is the size of the button, I used a 7/8" (22mm) button with the size 3 thread.


 I'm planning how to display my items on my table in the Maker's Fair at Concinnity. I always demonstrate while I sell, and hope to get more people interested in the new Greater Milwaukee Tatting Guild. I'll be handing out flyers!

7 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

WOW! That is awesome!

TotusMel said...

Love the necklace...it's always nice when a failed piece results in something new and lovely.

God's Kid said...

Great necklace!! :)
Great frog!! :)
And such a pretty hairclip!! :)

Jane McLellan said...

Good way to display your hairclips. I hope you get plenty of sales as well as interest.

Margarets designer cards said...

Brilliant necklace, great frogs, and lovely hair clips
I hope you have a good selling day.
Margaret

Marty said...

I'm going to have to pull out my book -- I really, really like the frog. Even though the necklace didn't turn out the way you wanted it's just fabulous. It almost tempts me to buy some size 3 thread. The hair clips you've done are really pretty. I think I'll have to try something similar for my niece who has very fine hair.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, everyone. The pattern for the frog can be worked in any size thread, you just need to choose a proportionately sized shank button to go with it.