Tuesday, January 27, 2015

If you do Pinterest

Well, I was going to talk about the "atom" that I'm tatting, but instead must try to educate people to thinking about what they pin on Pinterest.

Please, don't pin pattern pages from my books! Basically, if you post my pattern instructions that I'm trying to sell, you are taking my income. My books, patterns, and hand dyed thread are my main source of income and I depend on it.
Low resolution screenshot of a page from one of my books found on Pinterest. This is an example of copyright violation! Don't re-pin!


So, if you see pages of tatting instruction that don't look vintage (a clue is color photographs and modern designs) on Pinterest, check the source by clicking on the pin to see where it came from. If it's not from a blog or website where the pattern is offered by the original designer as a free pattern, don't re-pin! 

I hope this helps folks to understand. Even my good friends have re-pinned pages of my books without being aware of what they were doing.

11 comments:

God's Kid said...

I sure wish people would learn to respect others!!! It's not fair to all you designers!!!

Margarets designer cards said...

I totally agree with you and sue, I wish people would look at the patterns and not repin what some idiot has pinned.
Margaret

Fox said...

Grrrrrr......

zarina said...

This a good share.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you all for your support! Often, people just don't realize that just because a pattern is on Pinterest, doesn't mean that it should be there, and by re-pinning without thinking they are making the problem worse.

Kelly said...

Sorry people are being crappy and pinning your copyrighted material Marilee. Funny enough I saw this post while hunting for your atom pattern. I remember seeing that I could buy just that pattern on craftsy I thought but I think I'm wrong. I figure I have that gorgeous one you made me coming so now it's time to suck it up and try to make one myself. If I fail I will always have the lovely one you made me to console me xD

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks. Many current designers have had their patterns posted online without their permission, and people re-pin without thinking, so it's a widespread problem.

Kelly, the "atom" pattern is in my "Up and Tat 'Em" book. The challenging bits are the "electrons" inside the split rings and managing 6 shuttles, other than that, easy-peasy :-)

Kelly said...

I will have to buy your book soon. I have Tatted Jewelry and love it :)

Madtatter80 said...

love your atom and colors and so far I have not seen any of your pages on pintrest. I love to buy books it's odd that people post something they had to buy.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, Madtatter80, the pins of my book pages that I found and reported have been removed - for now.

By the way, it's only the actual pattern pages that are a no-no. I love seeing photos of the tatted items people have made from my patterns!

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you, stringplayer, the title of the book is "Up and Tat 'Em". It's for sale as either a printed book or a PDF download in my Etsy shop yarnplayer.etsy.com