Saturday, August 20, 2016

Sugar Maple

Summer can stay as long as it likes, as far as I'm concerned. But, since I'll be traveling to Palmetto Tat Days this year, I wanted to have some of this autumn-inspired batch to take with me. I won't have a table in the vendor room, but am taking advantage of the offer of the guild to handle my sales for me. This means labeling each skein with my vendor number and price. The best way to do that, it seems, is to put each skein into a small clear plastic zip bag. I bought stickers to put on the bags, but discovered that won't work because the sticker doesn't stay stuck on the plastic. So, I guess I'll just have to put the pertinent information on a piece of paper inside the bag. The extra time required for all these display details are why I much prefer to sell via Etsy rather than live shows :)

Bobbin lace earrings from a pattern by Jean Leader

My second completed project in bobbin lace is these earrings, done in single strands of hand dyed embroidery floss, a metallic thread, and size 11/0 seed beads. I used the pattern for beaded earrings by Jean Leader from The Lace Guild website, except I only used one row of beads.
Bobbin lace is a challenge that I just couldn't resist trying. All those bobbins and pins look so fantastically intimidating! My finished earrings are holding their shape pretty well without adding any stiffening, but I might like to try a different fiber next time, and compare the results.

9 comments:

God's Kid said...

Love that colorway!!! :)
And your earrings are wonderful!!! :)

muskaan said...

Fantastic earrings !!! And they do full justice to the gorgeous colourway :-)
I'm sure we can convert these into Cluny tatting !
The sales at Tat Days will make the extra effort worthwhile :-)

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous coloured skein you've created. Lovely earrings too. I almost wish I was going to the Tat Days! Enjoy yourself.

Jane McLellan said...

I hope you'll have good sales after all your effort. I do like your earrings, I'm going to show the pic to a friend who is learning bobbin lace.

Margarets designer cards said...

Love your new colourway, I hope you have good sales
Your new earrings in bobbin lace are beautiful

Bernice said...

Oh those colors are lovely, and your earrings a great pair. Yes, I think I could do these in cluny tatting. Have fun a tat days.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love your thread, and the earrings look fantastic in that color! It is time to get ready for Palmetto Tat Days, isn't it?

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorites and I used it to make a Celtic Maple Leaf using a pattern from Ruth Perry. I use a picture of it as a moniker on a lot of sites.

Klimju said...

Beautiful. I love bobbin lace and your earrings are fantastic totality and have amazing colour.