Monday, September 3, 2018

One Shuttle Glamour in progress

Earrings in progress from my "One Shuttle Glamour" pattern in Boutique Tatting.
 Somehow this pattern begged to be tatted after lying dormant in my first book, Boutique Tatting, for 10 years! It still works! The title, "One Shuttle Glamour" implies easy, but actually it's a bit of a challenge with all the long beaded picots coming off a mock ring around a bead.

On the later earrings, I've begun trying a Lark's Head Picot Join (I learned from Karen Cabrera's video on YouTube) to join the tatted rings to the long beaded picots. Many thanks to Karen for her awesome videos!

So far I like this tweak - although most folks wouldn't notice the difference. I'm tatting the rings back side. I don't know if there's a video showing that Lark's Head join from the back side, but I figured out it's just the opposite of the front side directions: down through the picot instead of up, twist the opposite way each time. I decided to simply count the join as an extra double stitch. It changes the appearance of the earrings just slightly, but I think it's an improvement! Of course, they still work with the normal join, too!
In this earring, I used the normal join on the rings to the long beaded picots.

8 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful earrings

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

The earrings are lovely! I like revisiting patterns and tweaking them with new techniques or ideas.

Jane McLellan said...

Glamorous indeed. Good idea to use techniques learnt in the interim to update a pattern.

Jenn said...

Beautiful earrings :).

Madtatter80 said...

I love these and can think of many color combinations I would like to try. You're great when explaining knots and figuring it out I appreciate learning what you have shared 😀🦋😀

God's Kid said...

Beautiful earrings!! :)

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you all for your nice comments! This pattern is one that really needs a good blocking after tatting to shape it. I'm debating whether to paint some fabric stiffener along the side edges, or leave them as is.

muskaan said...

Undoubtedly glamorous !!! Your gorgeous threads glam up everything :-)))
I enjoy learning new techniques and using them, too - little challenges ;-P