Friday, March 30, 2007

Flower bookmarks

Easy, beginner level project! For pdf click here.
Leave long tails when starting.

R 2-2-2-2-2. RW. *Ch 6-6, shuttle join to p of R. Repeat from * around.

Abbreviations:

R ring
Ch chain
- picot
RW reverse work

All the joins in this pattern are "locking", or "shuttle joins".








Finishing tips:
Tie the last 2 ends by
taking the core thread (the one that matches the color of the ring) through the 1st ring, bringing the chain thread around to tie the 1st half of a square knot. Then gather all the ends together and tie one big overhand knot, snugging it up to the base of the bookmark. Trim ends as desired.

8 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

How pretty...I'll have to try this today.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you! There could be a lot of variations too, with different number of picots, etc.

Maggie Ann said...

I made two of your flower bookmarkers today and enjoyed doing it. The only trouble I had was the final finishing knot and snugging it up...but they look good. I'm looking forward to making some more. My keyboard is surrounded with balls of Cordonnet threads and shuttles, while your tatting blog has never left my toolbar all day...smile. Thanks for sharing this..

Jane Eborall said...

I did smile when I saw your flowers. Somewhere in house I have a pattern that I wrote and earrings I made in exactly the same way. This must have been about 25 years ago!!!! Brought back lovely memories of the four/five year olds I was teaching at the time. Thanks.
JaneEb

Gill Foster Colthart said...

thank you. Only been tatting for 3 weeks & learning from internet. I managed the bookmark, so am pleased. It doesn't lie as flat as I would like it to but I guess I will eventually get the tension right. Most enjoyable

Gill said...

great for a beginner - thank you

mich1982 said...

Awesome, thanks for the easy patterns! Just what I need as a beginning tatter! Appreciate it!

Alexandre said...

Hi!
I been tatting for only 2 days, and this is the first time I make a symmetric flower. Thank you so much for your easy patterns for begginers like me!