Sunday, August 26, 2007

Or maybe this...

This pendant shows how the "Summer Trail" colorway works up. I tried connecting the top ring to the outer rings below it with a longish picot covered in seed beads. This design will reappear sometime in a different form, since I'm not satisfied with it yet.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Oxidation" necklace

OK, it is done. Next time I will make the holes in the polymer clay a bit bigger! Then it would be easier to join into. I might try for more of a heart shape for the central bead. The "Flora" brand thread, size 10, that I used for this piece is sturdy, but is slightly duller and fuzzier than the DMC Cordonnet Special, in my opinion. Well, I am picky!

Anyway, I saved a scan of the necklace at actual size, to use as a reference for future designing. I think the next one will go a lot faster, now that I've got something to follow.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Pendant in "Weathered Stone" hand dyed

A change from my usual bright colors, these are neutral, earthy. Actually tends toward the greens, I just don't get into browns much. The seed beads were a bit of a problem, since the holes were so small they were stubborn about getting onto the thread. I had to look for beads in the batch that had slightly larger holes.
The pattern, yes, I am working on it.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Pendant experimenting

This started out like the "Swallow Tail" pendant design, but part way through it was obvious it wasn't going to work the same because I was using larger beads. So I just made the two halves without connecting them. Then I strung on the stone bead, so it could dangle off a picot from a ring. The middle is connected together with some chains and shuttle joins -- the kind that lock the chain. The larger pearls were put on long picots before I joined to them.

This design needs additional experimenting. You'll probably see a lot of variations on this before I attempt to share a pattern from this idea in more detail.