Thursday, May 19, 2016

Lilac Sea and B&B


I finished a new batch of "Lilac Sea" hand dyed thread and added it to my Etsy shop. I also finished a pair of earrings from it, using my "Devotion" pattern. Amazing how combining different thread colors and bead colors can change the look of a design!

The Milwaukee Bead&Button Show is approaching quickly and I have to admit I'm feeling stressed over it, what with all the reminder emails coming from the organizers with lists and charts and times and places and rules and what-have-you. I still have to pack the kits, but will finish that shortly. B&B is much different than teaching at a tatting event, a local shop, or at a nice arts and crafts school like Shake Rag Alley. There is so much going on at the B&B show and it's so expensive that expectations run very high. Not really a relaxing event in which to learn a new skill, in my humble opinion. Oh well. Here's the photo of the pendant I'm teaching in the advanced class, done up in 2 different color ways:

I call this design Dazzling Debut. The pattern will be printed in a new book that is expected to come out later this year.

I'm also teaching a beginner class, Shuttle Tatting Basics. Every class at B&B requires a project, so here it is, though most likely beginners won't finish it in class:

They do get the kits, though, and learn the basic skills that will last them a lifetime, if they continue practicing at home! As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!"

13 comments:

Ninetta said...

The pendants are very pretty!

God's Kid said...

Love the Lilac Sea earrings-they are gorgeous!!! :)
I am tatting my husband's Christmas present with your Lilac Sea(look for my Christmas secrets blog and you can see the beginning.
Wonderful pendants!! :)
And such pretty beginner projects!!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love the earrings and the pendants!

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Your work is always impressive. Love it all! The beginners in your class are going to be thrilled at learning to make earrings they can wear to show off their new skills.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

That would be way too much pressure for me, but I know you will do a great job. Lucky students to get you as a teacher!

Madtatter80 said...

I understand that presser and I fall to pieces, I get that Your pictures look great and I thinks you are very organized with your work and thoughts. You are doing well and love your new color too :)

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous mix of colours the Lilac Sea is. Love the earrings too.

Jane McLellan said...

All those threads are marvelous! I hope the show goes off smoothly, it sounds rather high-powered.

Marilee Rockley said...

Aww, thanks for the encouragement, dear friends! Your kind words make me feel better about taking on this challenging event 🕊 😌

Bernice said...

I agree, the beads and thread provide a multitude of combinations and looks.

picotsnkeys said...

What a wonderful project for your class! I hope the beginners will take your patient instruction, creative designing, and run like the thread with it!

Potschochter said...

How come that those very first earrings look so similair alhtough they are made of varrigated yarn??
Keep on doing htis wonderful work.A dedicated fan from Austria.

Marilee Rockley said...

@Diana Wagner, I just tried to start the 2nd earring at the same place in the colorway of the yarn as the 1st earring. Sometimes it works! Thank you :)