Thursday, June 12, 2008

String of beaded mock rings, part 1

I'm working on a necklace with glass pearls within the center of mock rings. I think it will work - hope so, anyway! This is the first time I have tried doing a beaded string of rings this way, and I'm just experimenting.


What I'm doing in the photo above is tatting a mock ring, leaving a large loop at the beginning. The shuttle is put through the loop...
...then the loop is closed, and the tatting goes halfway around the bead at this point. Then the next mock ring is started, leaving a large loop at the beginning just like before. In the next post I plan to show how I get around the other side of all those beads.

12 comments:

Tat-a-Renda said...

Another innovative idea for working with beads. Love the contrasting colours of the white beads against the red thread

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

This looks like fun! Maybe I should try using some of my beads...

Tatskool said...

That's a very clever idea. Thanks for showing it.

Tattycat said...

I love this! YOu are so clever and so good to share with us. Thank you.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Very cool Marilee, I want to see more!

Unknown said...

Very creative and informative. Thank you. Lot's of possibilities with this from fun and funky to very elegant depending on the beads/pearls and thread color/texture used.

zarina said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm sure it will work out fine. And yes, I love working with beads. Now most of my tatting have beads.

Gina said...

Isn't it great that there are so many ways to string a bead? Thanks for showing this method. I've heard of it but had not seen it actually done.
:-) Gina

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you all for the nice comments! Part 2 is up now.

gracie said...

I have not tried mock rings.... yet. Love the way this looks.

Anonymous said...

Hi, do you leave the large loop at the beginning from the first or second shuttle? I'm having trouble making a second ring after the first. Thanks!

Marilee Rockley said...

The loop is from the first shuttle, which is the core thread inside the double stitches.