Thursday, December 18, 2008

Old snowflakes and other fiber stuff

These tatted snowflakes with embroidered cloth centers are ones I made many years ago, I think over 20 years - back when I had the patience, LOL. They were starched with sugar starch, and are still white and stiff. No problems with bugs whatsoever, but then I live in a cold northern climate! I have since been experimenting with various stiffeners. There are a lot of ways to get things to be stiff - the extra-hold hairspray is next on my list to try.

Sometimes I do take a small break from tatting and dyeing! Here is a knit slipper top in progress:
The loom got warped again, this time with warm wools for a winter scarf. As usual, it's not really according to any plan...this scarf is the sampling! Its just for fun and warmth.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for showing your lovely snowflakes! They are probably some of the most beautiful tatted ornaments I have seen! :)

Gina said...

mmm...that scarf looks warm and soft! I've been bundling up a lot lately.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your snowflakes are lovely! I've never knit slippers, but I am planning on starting some socks once I finish Dave's afghan. I also plan on warping my loom over the Christmas break... there's so much I want to do!

Marty said...

That scarf is going to be very pretty fun and warmth! The snowflakes are really pretty. I love the idea of the embroidery in the center.

Susanne said...

Oh that scarf looks beautiful, I really love it.
You do such lovely work, and that includes your snowflakes with embroidery.

Tattycat said...

How neat that you got started tatting when you were so young and you were so good at it! The snowflakes are so pretty. I love the slipper top and the new scarf!
Still looking for the Belle Amore Jewelry magazine.

Unknown said...

The snowflakes are beautiful and the scarf looks like it is going to be wonderful. Please post a picture of the scarf when it is done.

TAT19540 said...

I love your snowflakes. It's not that patience thing-it's the eyesite thing for me. I would not do the middle part.I also love the loom scarf-my adventures in yarn on my loom are in the loom bag( a rug). Too many irons in the fire- but you inspire me to take it out of the bag and finish it!

Marilee Rockley said...

TattingChic, that is such a major compliment :-D

Gina, I hope you are staying warm!

Diane, there really is so much to explore, isn't there! Creative people are rarely bored.

Marty, glad you like the start on the scarf. The embroidery idea may make a comeback...someday.

Susanne, thank you very much for the compliments!

Tattycat, I am LOL about your comment about me tatting "so young"! If you are still looking for the magazine, maybe it would be easier to order a copy online at
http://www.stampington.com/html/belle_armoire_jewelry.html

Thanks, Clyde, that gives more incentive to finish the scarf.

Tat19540, I also have too many irons in the fire, LOL.