Here's what I decided to do for "Garden Afternoon":
Make the skeins longer (46 inches in circumference, or 1.16 meter), giving me room to put in the 10 colors used. Usually my dye batches are from 4 to 6 colors, so for this colorway I really needed to do something different in order to make everything fit. The circular painting method I tried first just took too much of my time.
Actually, I may continue with the larger circumference skein for all my batches, since it makes for less winding and more room for color. To help show what I'm talking about, here is a photo of 2 of the new skeins next to 2 old ones, along with a measuring tape. The yardage of the skeins is the same.
Here are a pair of earrings tatted in the first batch of "Garden Afternoon", from my "Carnival" pattern. Just one shuttle!