The polymer clay butterfly with tatting is still in progress. The photo shows the 2nd wing being attached to the butterfly body. The thread is pulled through the hole in the polymer clay with a crochet hook, in preparation for a join - a normal join at that particular place. Around the outer edges I've used only chains with lock joins.
What I've learned so far is that the 2 wings needed to be completed first, then the body worked, attaching wings to the final round of the body. I'm planning to tat antennae last...well, actually the last part will be the neck cord. I'll probably have to use a slightly different thread color since I'm running out of the hand dyed color I'm using. Isn't that always the way, running out of thread! This is definitely a one-of-a-kind project, and not for sale. Just to exhibit and keep.
I hope to finish it next week, and also dye more thread for my Etsy shop.