Thursday, June 9, 2016

Being Different at the Bead&Button Show

 My favorite remark that someone said to me at the Bead&Button Show "Meet the Teachers" event was "I've been looking all around and seeing similar things over and over, but at your table I'm finally seeing something different! Marvelous!"
 Well, encouraging comments like that are what keep me going! Bead&Button Show is a very, VERY big gathering, and sometimes being someone who does something different from the mainstream can feel a bit lonely. The few other "fiber" people there voiced similar laments. But, hey, my tatted jewelry drew "oohs and ahhs", curious questions, and stories of long ago relatives. People did love the hand dyed thread and bought some even though they weren't sure what they would do with it :)


 Some people who bought my hand dyed thread last year stopped at my table to show what they had made with it! A bead crochet necklace using clear crystal beads that allowed the hand dyed colors to show through, and a bead crochet bracelet with some areas without beads to feature the thread.

 The show and classes take up the Wisconsin Center convention facility in downtown Milwaukee, as well as 2 hotels plus some classrooms at the Milwaukee Technical College. The event lasts 10 days.
One of the students in the tatting classes that I taught, proudly showing off her very first tatted earrings!

It's not done yet! Friday, June 10 I'm going back to do some shopping :)

9 comments:

God's Kid said...

Wow!!! That looks so awesome!!! :)
I love what the non-tatters did with your threads!!! Very inspiring!!! :)
Great! Another tatter!!!! :)

Madtatter80 said...

Inspiration from all the imaginations is a great place to create :) you look so happy and like you are having the best time ever love to see this post :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

How wonderful! Your hand-dyed threads are fabulous, even if they're not used for tatting. I hope to make it to the Bead & Button Show some day.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

So glad you are having a good time. Love what these crocheters have done using your beautiful threads.

JB said...

Sounds like a wonderful show. Beautiful display.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Pleased to see that you're having fun! Tatting and beads go together 'naturally', and you're the perfect tatting representative to be there. It's good to be 'different'. I'm sure visitors have never seen anything like your gorgeous jewelry, and you're also reminding others about their memories of relatives who tatted. And crocheters can really 'take off' with ideas for your beautiful threads. I wonder if cross-stitchers have experimented with it. I can't imagine where I'd begin to go 'shopping'. Could be 'dangerous' (LOL)!

Jane McLellan said...

Good for you for standing out from the crowd. I love the idea of getting feedback from customers - wonderful how they've exploited the nature of the thread.

Margarets designer cards said...

I am so glad you stood out from the crowd, sometimes it's good because then you get the puck of the customers,
Your thread us beautiful, and a new tatter in the world
Margaret

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

Love seeing the picture of your hand dyed thread layed out. I will be buying some I hope at Palmettos beside my special order. I love your threads.