Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Pod

A tatted pod, inspired by milkweed pods. I'm surprised this attempt at pod design actually worked!

I started with a center row of split rings. After that, I add each side separately. No pattern yet, but I plan on writing it up.

More split rings around the edges, and a pod shape starts to form. I used 2 shades of color so that I could remember what I did where. A final row of chains with joins produces the 3 dimensional shape.
Tatting friends posted lots of great ideas for filling the pod on my Facebook Page. For myself, though, I am taking on the challenge of mimicking the seeds. I don't have a picture of a newly opened pod with most of the seeds still inside, but that's what my plan is to try to do. All will be written and diagrammed out, eventually.
I've been busy with music (playing cello with WIO and at church) so that is taking up much of my time lately. Housework will have to wait! I will, however, be hand dyeing another batch of thread in a week or so.

12 comments:

Klimju said...

Beautiful pot, amazing. I'm really surprised, that so wonderful thing can be tatted by thread. Big WOW. Best wishes :-)

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful pod, and will be amazing with the seeds inside

Michelle said...

It really turned out beautifully!

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you very much. It will not be hard to make, when the pattern is finished. Good practice for split rings, also.

Madtatter80 said...

This is beautiful Marilee I love this pod my head races with Ideas, like a fairy baby needs to be cradled in side! you get 5 stars from me :)

God's Kid said...

Your work is stunning!!! :)

muskaan said...

Amazing transformation ! Love it.

victats@gmail.com said...

Its beautiful and i can't wait to see the complete work!

Jane McLellan said...

That's fascinating!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love that you are able to imagine fabulous designs and then bring them to life. Your pod is beautiful!

picotsnkeys said...

A nice pattern. I am always inspired by your tatting. And clever to use two shades when working out the pattern. Good tip for us all! Thank you!!!

Fox said...

Clever. Reminiscent of those leaves we were all tatting - German publication, but I forget the name- but your leaves are even more of enticing! Beautiful designs.