Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Metallic thread experiment 1

I recently gave this Beadsmith metallic thread a try. It's a 2 ply with a thickness is similar to DMC size 30 crochet cotton. It worked okay to tat both rings and chains in a simple pattern (my "Dazzling Debut" earring design).

However, something more complex, such as my "Atom" with a split ring around a bead, didn't work, though. The Beadsmith thread isn't smooth enough for such a tricky maneuver!

Rita Richmond of "Shuttle By Design" sells a different brand of metallic thread that is 3 ply. I've placed an order for some! When it arrives, I'll test tat it!

In the meantime, I decided to tat an atom of Lizbeth thread (River Blue medium) and get more scientific (using the term VERY loosely) with particle theory by adding "neutrinos" and "quarks" simply by adding tiny beads :-D

9 comments:

West Pine Creations said...

I like to use Sulky or Coats & Clark, metallic sewing thread. I use two to four strands, depending on how thick I want it to be. It is very smooth and nice to work with. I have no problem closing rings with it.

Marilee Rockley said...

Good to know! I admire people who can manage multiple strands!

Ninetta said...

I love your designs. I've used Finca metallic with 2 strands of it, but my favourite is dmc, both the diamant and the 282 gold (283 is silver) unfortunately one spool is only 40m.

Jane McLellan said...

Interesting to experiment and see what's possible and what isn't. Love the atom!

Lilas Lace said...

I love your "atom". It's really georgous!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I have a love/hate relationship with metallic threads! I love the way they look, and I hate the way they feel while I'm tatting. I also ordered some of the new thread from Rita, and I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Margarets designer cards said...

I don't like tatting with metallic threads, they just don't run for me.
Beautiful Aton pendant, love the colour

Unknown said...

Bellissimo il tuo atomo mi piacerebbe farlo... Sono alle prime armi potresti mettere lo schema?

Marilee Rockley said...

The "Atom" pattern is in my book "Up and Tat 'Em, found in my Etsy shop and also on the Handy Hands Tatting website. It is a very tricky pattern, so recommended for those with some tatting experience.