Friday, August 16, 2013

Tatted Feather Earrings


So far this is the best feather design that I could come up with using tatting. I've been thinking about feathers the last few weeks (can you say, "feather-brained"...lol). But, I like the feather-y effect of the folded rings, the beads down the center that accentuate the center rib, and the natural look of having one side slightly larger than the other. The picots at the base of the feather could be cut and frayed, for a downy look, but I chose to leave them uncut, thinking that with wear they would hold up better. What do you think?

Martha Ess has done a very nice tutorial on folded rings.

18 comments:

Miranda said...

Oh, those are marvelous! I agree, not cutting the picots was the right choice on something that's going to be worn.

Phyllis said...

They are beautiful. I agree that leaving the picots uncut was the right decision.

God's Kid said...

Those are nice!! :)

Bożenka said...

Śliczne kolczyki :-)
Pozdrawiam.

Jane McLellan said...

Fabulous. I don't like the thought of real feathers as earrings, but tatted ones would be fine!

Unknown said...

Very nice!! I agree, as these are going to see a lot of wear not cutting those picots is a good idea. I think they would look really great with them cut and frayed, maybe as accents to a dream catcher?

Marilee Rockley said...

A dream catcher...good idea!

Madtatter80 said...

These are beautiful really nice to look at lots of possibilities here!

Fox said...

Lovely design.

Corina said...

Great feathers!

Unknown said...

I like their look of evanescence and immaterialty!

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful feather earrings, I love your pattern,
Margaret

craftie sylvie said...

Well, I think this pattern is wonderful, and the picots add a nice flowery detail at the end of the feather. So, well done! I'll try the tutorial, thanks for the link ;))

Carrie said...

Those are just too cool. I am constantly amazed at the shapes you are able to produce with tweaking rings and chains.

Unknown said...

Beautiful design!

GraceT said...

Exquisite! They really do look like feathers. Ostrich feathers! :-)

Crissi said...

Wonderful!
Ciao Crissi

Sam Wilson said...

They are beautiful feather earrings. The uncut picots look specially very great. Thanks for sharing.