Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Lace necklace from "Victory" pattern


This lace necklace was inspired by a vintage collar pattern called "Victory". The thread I used was Lizbeth size 20 in Violet Pink Dark (for the center and the chains of the outer round) and for the rings on the edge I used my own hand dyed "Campfire".

Something I learned while tatting the clusters on the edge was that I needed to make my picots just slightly larger to allow the lace to lay flat. I didn't quite get that calculation of correct picot size to perfection, so there is still some slight "cupping" on the edges of this necklace but I'm very pleased overall.
The book I found the pattern in is called The Tatter's Treasure Chest which was published by Dover in 1990. On the copyright page there's a list of publications from the 1930s and 1940s that this collection was selected from. Another of the patterns in this book often seen tatted into necklaces is called "Pleasure Bent". It's a very similar design, but with rounded edges instead of points.
I used beading wire to string beads for the neck cord. Happily, enough coordinating colors of beads were found in my stash! However I did notice that I'm running low on jump rings, wire protectors, and other findings, so shopping will be necessary to replenish my supplies.

6 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Stunning! Yes, we tend to think joining picots should be as small as possible, but that’s not necessarily so. Worth remembering, thanks.

God's Kid said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your tatting is always stunning! I also have that book. However, I have never tried tatting anything from it.

Anonymous said...

The necklace is gorgeous! A good reminder - sometimes picots need to be longer to allow pieces to lie flat.
StephanieW

Shanda said...

Stunning as always, campfire is a fav. and love this necklace❤️

Мастерская Милабра said...

Beautiful. Очень красивое и интересное колье.