Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Larkspur and a lace bookmark

 


New hand dyed thread batch "Larkspur" is now listed in my Etsy shop. 
The colors were inspired by a delphinium (aka larkspur) flower in my garden.

Obviously not as vibrant as the beautiful, intensely saturated colors in that plant, but I did my best. I ordered new dye colors for this batch, choosing "Intense Blue" and "Blue Violet" from the Pro Chemical and Dye website. I always use fiber reactive dyes for my cotton threads.
______________________________

A bobbin lace project completed! The Caneground Bookmark pattern by Jenny Brandis. I really needed her clear, step-by-step instructions and excellent video demonstrations for every little bit of the process to get this done. I guess you could call it a "bucket list" wish to be able to learn bobbin lace. Some of my size 40 hand dyed thread is in this.


8 comments:

God's Kid said...

I absolutely LOVE your new colorway!!! :)
Wonderful bookmark!! :)

Jane McLellan said...

A bookmark to treasure! I didn't realise that larkspur and delphinium are two names for the same flower. A colour worth aiming for!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I do love your new thread! Your bobbin lace bookmark is beautiful.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you!
Actually "Larkspur" is the common name, "Delphinium" is the scientific name of the genus. There's more to it in plant classification, but the reason I chose "Larkspur" is 2 less letters to write on the tags, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Your bobbin lace bookmark is gorgeous. Love the Larkspur thread!
StephanieW

Lelia said...

Beautiful bobbin lace ... I haven't done bobbin lace very long - do enjoy it tho. You are making wonderful pieces.

Delightful fiber. LOL- Larkspur!!! Yes, 2 less letters for the tags : )

Lavinia said...

Oh, you know, I had some mystery flower seeds from grandma and only found out the name today thanks to your post. Thank you!
The colours are very beautiful on your thread! And congratulations for the lovely bobbin lace!

Margarets designer cards said...

Fabulous colour thread, and your lace bookmark is outstanding