Saturday, August 17, 2024

Dark Matter hand dyed thread

 


This "Dark Matter" thread batch was inspired while touring the Yerkes Observatory recently. Dark matter is described on the NASA science web page as a mysterious substance that "doesn’t reflect, absorb, or radiate light – at least not enough for us to detect yet."

My new hand dyed thread is only my fun attempt to give the effect of "outer space" colors. ☺ Now listed for sale in my Etsy shop.

Here's some pictures I took of the telescope and observatory building, which was built in 1897. Learn more at the Yerkes Observatory website.







5 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

I love the sheen of your thread, even though that contradicts the name!

Margarets designer cards said...

Its got a lovely shine on it, it would look lovely mixed with other colours such as a red

God's Kid said...

Wow!! Yes, it looks like space colors!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and I can definitely see 'space' in those colors. Wish I could still see well enough to be able to tat with those dark colors. Maybe someday, years from now...when the cataracts are 'fixed.'
StephanieW

Marilee Rockley said...

StephanieW, since you mentioned "cataracts" I thought you might find it interesting to know that I had cataract surgery in November 2023; it was very quick and I can see so much better. ♥ I hope all goes well for you.