Friday, September 25, 2026

Primal pattern is done

 

Primal is one of my most difficult patterns! Well, there was a lot to write and I practiced to be able to make a "loop tatted ring" over a bead over a floating ring in progress video - but I did it! 

There are 3 links to videos in the pattern. The one for "Catherine Wheel Join" goes to my Celtic Triangle video because it is a good demo of the technique. But, I made a new video for a bead inside a floating ring as well as the loop tatted ring already mentioned. These videos are not exclusive to the pattern, so here's the links: 

Catherine Wheel Join

Bead inside ring

Loop tatted ring over a bead 

Tatting techniques used in the pattern: ring, picot, chain, join, lock join, Catherine Wheel join, floating ring, bead picot, bead placed onto a picot, bead inside a ring, split ring, bead inside a split ring, loop tatted ring over a bead, Josephine chain.

The 7 page pattern is written in English, has a photo diagram with stitch counts, and in-progress photos. For sale as an instant download PDF on Etsy in this listing.

Primal, an archaic style necklace in tatting


4 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

The necklace is splendid! Thanks for the videos, they show tricky techniques very clearly.

God's Kid said...

So glad you were able to get it all done!! :)
Thank you for the tutorials!! I have saved them!!

tanchaowen said...

The bead-inside-floating-ring and loop-tatted-ring videos make those tricky joins much easier to picture. I sometimes rough out bead placement as a simple pixel art grid before working out a necklace motif, then rely on a proper tatting diagram for stitch counts. Does the seven-page Primal PDF show both sides of the beaded section?

Marilee Rockley said...

The pictures in the PDF are showing the front side, but the back side looks very similar. Experienced tatters would notice the difference, but I think most people not familiar with tatting wouldn't.