Monday, July 25, 2016

Back from IOLI 2016 Convention

That's me wearing a vintage Tat Days shirt, showing a tatting technique in one of the classes I taught at IOLI convention 2016.

Koala from Australia
 When a lot of lacemakers get together, it's guaranteed to be an interesting week! In one of the tatting classes that I taught, I met a lovely lady from Australia who gave everyone in the class a soft toy koala! The cuddly critter can grab onto things, so in the photo at left he's clutching my scissors.

Sue Anna winding lace bobbins
Sue Anna provided the transportation for the 2 of us all the way to the convention in Indianapolis and back home again. She took a bobbin lace class in Bedfordshire lace. She had a lot of bobbins to wind, so shopped in the vendor area for a bobbin winder. She bought one that she liked, then happily wound the rest of her bobbins and was all prepared for class!


Sue Anna's tatted "Amoeba"
 Sue Anna also took my "Amoeba" tatting class. I really like the orange and purple contrasting colors that she chose for her motif. This design provides a lot of opportunity to practice Catherine Wheel Joins! Comments that students made during class gave me ideas on how to make the pattern a bit easier to understand, so I'll add those improvements before I put the pattern into my Etsy shop.

I wore my Planetary Society shirt one day, and boy, am I glad that I did! It attracted the attention of a woman who actually used to work with Carl Sagan! In case you haven't heard of Carl Sagan, he wrote and hosted the TV Series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. A short biography and video featuring his "Pale Blue Dot" quote can be seen at this link.
Me with Jules

Prize package with knitting by Lelia
 There were many raffle prizes given away. I was lucky to win this beautiful prize package containing a hand knit "bottle dress" including a bottle of dishwashing liquid, a hand knit dishcloth, a blue and white ceramic mug, and pretty notepaper.
The vendor room, stocked with lacemaking supplies!

 The dinners at the convention, as well as restaurants nearby, offered yummy choices! I only took one food photo, of the luscious chocolate cake dessert at one of the convention dinners. I wish I had taken a photo of the incredible rhubarb pie that I was served at Shapiro's Deli in the mall nearby. It was so good!

Being around so many people doing bobbin lace, I couldn't resist buying a beginner's bobbin lace kit and a book of bobbin lace jewelry patterns. I kept telling myself that I don't have time for yet another craft, but well, if you're a creative person you know we just have to find time to play with new toys :)

6 comments:

God's Kid said...

Looks like a wonderful time!!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

It looks like you had a great time!

tattrldy said...

This sounds like fun! It must be quite stimulating to be around so many creative people!

La navette aux bijoux said...

It seems to be a great time !
I've bought the same book as you for bobbin lace last year. The patterns are easy to follow. I've post an article on a bracelet I've made from this book. If you want to see it, it's on my blog : http://lanavetteauxbijoux.blogspot.fr

Margarets designer cards said...

Sounds like you had a great time

muskaan said...

Delightful read ! Love your tatted hair adornments :-)
I'd bought that adorable koala peg back in the 80s in Perth.(My favorite animal) Carried it everywhere on my pen/pencil. Gave it to a friend as a memory gift when she moved away.