Monday, September 19, 2011

Ginko leaf

My best attempt to approximate a gingko leaf shape in tatting. If there is interest, I may get around to writing up the pattern, but be aware it's a bit tricky.

I used folded rings in the center ( there's a great tutorial on folded rings at Martha Ess' Tatting Page) and Catherine Wheel Joins on the outer edge. I really find Catherine Wheel Joins useful for keeping a smooth curve, and I'm glad Bina of Paradise Treasures introduced me to that technique.

Anyway, in size 20 the Ginko leaf measures about 1 and 1/2 inches across (3.8 cm). I think for earrings I would like it a tad daintier, so I'll try size 30 or 40. In those sizes, wouldn't you know, I don't have any appropriate colors - so off to do more dyeing!

In other news, I enjoyed having a sneak peak at how the nice folks at Annie's Attic are arranging my new book, Tatted Jewelry. It looks like the book will be around 40 pages, and will include many in-progress photos (taken by me) and beautiful professionally taken photos, too. Oh, I'm so excited - just wait'll you see!

16 comments:

TotusMel said...

Lovely leaf pattern, this one is my favorite so far!

Anonymous said...

Love the leaf pattern and do hope you decide to make up the pattern:) I am so excited about your book and can hardly wait for it to come out it is on my want list already!!

Umintsuru said...

This is a favourite leaf of mine. Very pretty and the shape is spot on.

LittleBerry said...

these are very pretty - more dying ooohhh can't wait to see the colours you come up with everyone loves the Knitty Gritty I've used so far...

IsDihara said...

Great Ginkgo! FYI--in case you hadn't seen it yet, Karey Solomon also shares a Ginkgo leaf pattern in her booklet, "Tatting Turns Over a New Leaf."

Your design is markedly different than hers and I think (just MHO) both are really great, original designs.

A tree with as long a history as the Ginkgo certainly has earned the right to have many lovely leaf designs.

Fox said...

Leaves me drooling!
Fox ; ))

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you so much!

I haven't seen Karey Solomon's book, so now I will have to go track down a copy - I'm very curious to see!

CarolynK said...

Can't wait to see your new book! I love all your patterns and your beautiful, beautiful threads. Please do give us the gingko leaf pattern; it's one of my favorite leaf designs.

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely pattern and well designed.
Margaret

God's Kid said...

Never heard of a Ginko leaf, but your design looks great!!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty!

You say it's tricky to make, but the photo makes it look so simple! Your work is stunning

I'm really excited for you about your new book. What a publisher to have backing your work!

louine said...

Love the ginko leaf....it would be a great project for me to learn the Catherine wheel join, so I'm interested.....I am still tatting maple leaves for my fall table.....I am going to just lay some around on my lace table cloth.

Marty said...

Wonderful, wonderful! I do hope you decide to write it up!

Gina said...

I like this leaf pattern. I knew what it resembled even before I read the title. Good job!

Martha said...

This is really nice, hope you write up the pattern, pretty please.

Marilee Rockley said...

Okay! Thanks to all of you for your encouragement, I now have the Ginko Leaf pattern finished!