Friday, August 21, 2020

Jacket Project and Easy Weaver's Knot

 


With the doily finished (knot stitch pattern from Priscilla Tatting Book No. 3), I've decided to sew it onto a white jeans jacket. I'm planning to continue adding more and more colorful tatting onto the jacket until it's a totally fabulous art-to-wear garment. ☺


I pinned the tatting in place, and am in the process of sewing it on with white thread, catching the outer picots of the round motif, then the outer picots of the leaves. I decided to not use any adhesive because I want the tatting to be safely removable in the future, when the jacket eventually wears out.


Since I used a dark green as the ball thread for tatting the chains (the edges of all the leaves), and sometimes a different color thread for the rings (the centers of the leaves), I'll share here the way I tie a weaver’s knot (smallest knot to connect 2 threads).


Loosely tie a slip knot in 1st thread, then put the 2nd thread through the loop.


Pull both sides of the slip knot until 2nd thread “pops”.


Voilà! ♥

9 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Great idea! I have my jeans shirt from Palmetto Tat Days that I've been meaning to decorate with tatting. I just haven't gotten around to it. Aren't weavers' knots wonderful? They practically disappear!

God's Kid said...

Your jacket is going to be envied by all tatters!!! :)
That flower is awesome!!!! :)

Jane McLellan said...

I really like the flower, love your bright version of it. The jacket will be amazing! I use a weavers knot too.

Margarets designer cards said...

Brilliant idea to dress up a pair jeans and when they wear out, you can put the motif on something else.

Kathy Niklewicz said...


This will be a fabulous jacket! Thanks for the tutorial. Perfectly presented, as usual!

muskaan said...

Gorgeous flower and leaves!!!
I do the weaver's knot is same manner and learnt from some video that if you pull the other 2 ends, the knot will open up! So this very strong knot can also be temporary if desired.

Judith Connors said...

A beautiful application of tatted lace, Marilee.

StringyDogs said...

Love the quick way to tie a weaver's knot! Thank you.
I'm worried about the center of your doily not being sewn down. It could really catch on stuff!
LindaR

GraceT said...

Wow, the doily is gorgeous!

Thanks for telling us how you attached it, too. Sewing on tatted items is my bugbear - I have a couple of projects stalled at this stage... :-/

Grace