Thursday, July 22, 2021

Beading with Tatting, Color and Roses

 

Work in progress: tatting with beads, beading around 8mm beads, and a retake on a previous design in peppermint green.


This beading is peyote stitch, using a doubled thread as shown in the 2nd photo. I've been using 6 lb. "Fireline" thread but have observed that it's a bit thick to use doubled with the size 11/0 Delicas beads and tiny size 15/0 seed beads that I'm working with. So have placed an order for 4 lb. Fireline to use in the future. Oh, and if you are looking for a tutorial, I'm following the top bead design shown by Viktoriya Antipova in her YouTube video here: https://youtu.be/m7oqEBAxhEI?t=1679 And it would be nice to support her by giving her video a "like".


Last weekend was a classic car show and I fell in love with all the aqua and teal colors I saw! So, having realized that I've never done a dye batch completely of aqua shades, that's definitely on the to-do list. (^^ )

The Peace rose that I had been using in photographs up to now was one I had seen at the Boerner Botanical Gardens. But theirs died, so since I really need a Peace rose in my life I bought one and planted it in my own garden. So here's a photo of its 3rd rose produced this summer!


Now that I've learned a little bit about roses (I was clueless!) now I have a deeper appreciation for the "faithfully blooming every summer for 22 years" red rose given to me by my mother. 

I don't know the name of this rose, but with the help of a rose expert friend, we've decided that it's a beautiful red rose! (And the inspiration for my original "Roses" batch of hand dyed thread.)


8 comments:

God's Kid said...

Can't wait to see all those beaded pieces finished!! :)
Great heart and green flower!! :)
Love the blues on that car!
Beautiful roses!! :)
My parents had a peace rose bush when we moved. Up until then dad's favorite roses were the Seven Sisters Antique roses which he has plenty of!!!

Lelia said...

W O W ! ! ! You have been busy!

Jane McLellan said...

I’m resisting learning peyote stitch! Your work is so gorgeous though that I’m tempted all over again. Love the peace rose.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your beading looks beautiful! There was a teacher at our elementary school who did beading, and I remember her demonstrating the peyote stitch for me. However, it's not something I've ever tried. It will be fun to see what new color combinations you dye!

Marilee Rockley said...

God's Kid, I had not heard of the Seven Sisters rose so looked it up. The variety of colors in each cluster of flowers sounds amazing to see!

Marilee Rockley said...

We're influenced by what we see others do, aren't we? I learned peyote stitch at the beading guild meetings.

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful beading with the tatting,
Roses are gorgeous and many have such lovely perfumes, I am sorry I dont know the name of the red rose

Bernice said...

I can't wait to try this new bead and tatting technique. The video made it very clear and I love peyote stitch.
So happy that your roses are blooming and they are truly beautiful.