Tuesday, October 5, 2021

An Experiment with Bina's Layered Chain Technique

 

"Devotion" heart tatted with layered chains

This was the first time that I used Layered Chains in a finished project, and I wanted to learn how far I could push the limits of the technique.

The chains in 2 colors, layered on top of each other were tatted using Sabina Carden-Madden's technique of Layered Chains. This is a variation of pearl tatting technique that was published in the Winter 2006-2007 issue of "The Bulletin" by I.O.L.I (International Organization of Lace). 

The Layered Chains:

Fill 2 shuttles, each with a different color thread, and leave the thread attached to the balls.

Hold both ball threads for the core, same as for pearl tatting.
I used the light color for the bottom (inside chain), and the dark color for the top (outside chain). So, since I'm right handed, the light color (shuttle 1) was at my right hand, and the dark color (shuttle 2) to the left.







Tat a normal double stitch using ONLY the light color (bottom) core thread.















The double stitch is flipped as usual. I've shown only the first half in progress in the photo.















After each bottom double stitch, use shuttle 2 (dark thread) to wrap an unflipped double stitch over both core threads. I've shown only the first half in progress here. Notice that the top stitch (dark) is wrapping around both core threads, but NOT the shuttle 1 thread.

Continue alternating the bottom and top stitches in the same way. Both are 1st half, 2nd half as usual, but the top ones are unflipped. 

Count the stitches as usual, remembering to finish the same number of stitches each side.

To curve the chain, pull shuttle 1 only.




This is how the finished tatting looked before blocking. Very crowded and curled up, which is not the result I have when this design is made using normal tatting. So, I am thinking that it would be better to choose a pattern with more open space in it, to leave room for the bulkier layered chains.


I found that I like what I had considered the "back side" better than what I had thought would be the "front side"! Here are pictures of both sides. 


This Layered Chain technique is slow and requires concentration. I found it very fiddly at first. Eventually I was able to develop a sort of rhythm, if not speed. I enjoyed seeing the results!



8 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Very interesting, I’ve never seen that technique before. Thanks. I think your motif is superb, though of course I don’t know what you were imagining! The combination of black and bright is clever too.

victats@gmail.com said...

Love the heart. Like Jane I have never seen that technique before. I guess I should get the IOLI bulletin.
I asked on Instagram and I still wonder why w
You need the 4th thread. I looks like it's just coming along for the ride...

God's Kid said...

Gorgeous pendant!!! :)

Ninetta said...

That's my question too, why the 4th thread. But it's very inspiring, the 4 shuttles can be used to create some complex elements over and under the double chain. Thank you for showing.

Margarets designer cards said...

Fabulous, certainly something new to try, love the colours you used.

muskaan said...

Thank you so much for this reminder which will hopefully bring it back into popular designing (I know I will be using it in some future pattern ;-D). We should revisit 'older' techniques more often.

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, everyone! The 4th thread - OMG I never questioned it because it was in Bina's illustration, but when you asked I tried it with only the one core thread. Yes, absolutely the technique works without the "4th thread", but the chain on top of the layer doesn't look as pronounced, or full, without it. I guess that's its purpose, to be "filler". So many options! More ideas to play with!!!

Shanda said...

That would work well on the bats I am working to thicken the wings up😎