Thursday, December 2, 2021

After several tries "Holly's Heart"

 


When I saw the original vintage photo on Ribbonwinners and the lovely pattern redesign by Lily Morales I decided to give it a try.


Although both the written pattern and diagrams are extremely well done, for some reason I just couldn't wrap my little brain around it enough to be able to follow it. I was ready to give up, but then took a look at the vintage original another way. 

The center is simply square blocks stacked up. 
They're turned at an angle to form the basic shape. 
Additional triangles fill in the gaps to make the heart shape. 

Since I do understand how to "climb out" using split rings, I decided to tat a row of blocks. And then "climbed out" to tat another row of blocks. I was able to finish the heart by taking a section at a time, in 3 sections. So, 3 sets of tails to sew in, not as clever as Lily's method which leaves only 1 set of tails, but I'm happy just to have been able to finish the heart! ♥

12 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful finish.

Jane McLellan said...

Interesting way of achieving an almost solid centre.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Wow! That is stunning!

God's Kid said...

Totally awesome!!! :)

JillMcTats said...

Beautiful !!! Wish I could solve those type problems.

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful heart,glad you solved the pattern, sometimes som,e patterns just dont always work as well as others but you solved it,

picotsnkeys said...

I'm so glad you gave this pattern a go! When I tatted my first try, I adapted her instructions also, The second time I got closer and it looked "ok" enough that I spent time adapting the concept to tatting a piano. It worked, but it still looked rather flat. I wonder if the design concept would work for tatting a cello or violin????

Marilee Rockley said...

@picotsnkeys, a tatted piano, wow! Yes, it seems the concept could be used to tat many shapes.

Lelia said...

W O W ! ! ! this is beautiful. Job well done.

Hallie said...

I love split rings; I have to try this. Thanks for posting it!
Is there any news on when the Greater Milwaukee Tatters Guild might meet again? I discovered its blog page just before COVID hit!

Shanda said...

That looks amazing! Not sure I could be up for the challenge .

Marilee Rockley said...

I led the Milwaukee tatting group for 7 years (plus another group before that). I'm burned out in that regard. (◡́.◡̀)