Thursday, February 22, 2024

Sea green Victory and beginning a peace symbol

 


Done! This "Victory" necklace in my own hand dyed sea green (the darker color) and Lizbeth number 686 Seagreen Lt. My finished necklace is listed in my Etsy shop here and the pattern is there.

Something I learned is to measure the round beads! Just because it says "6mm" on the package doesn't mean that the beads actually measure 6mm! The quartzite stone beads were a little larger, which explains why the tatted ring around the focal bead at lower center didn't quite fit, and it took less beads to make the neck cord the correct length.


So then, I came up with earrings to match, sort of. The last join on these is a rather tricky folded join, but otherwise they're fairly simple. I might write this up as a free pattern someday.


The earrings in progress

_______________________________________________________

New experiment combining tatting and wire-wrapping is in progress! 

I'm trying to make a peace symbol, the iconic 1960s peace symbol, out of wire and adding tatted "flowers" on it in a way similar to my other wire with tatting pendants. We will soon see if this works! 

To form the wire shape I followed the DIY Peace Sign Earrings video demonstration by Heather Boyd Wire on YouTube. Changes I made include continuing the wire up over the top (to form a bail later) and I added a 2nd circle of wire around the outside to make a doubled edge, which makes a wider border and will keep the tatting facing front.

My concern is to keep the peace symbol recognizable while being covered with the tatted "flowers". A work in progress....


9 comments:

God's Kid said...

It will be awesome!!! :)
I can't wait to see it finished!! :)

God's Kid said...

Oh, I forgot to comment on your very beautiful necklace!!!! :) It's fantastic as always!! :)

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

The necklace is beautiful, and it looks like your peace symbol is coming along really well. It's a great combination.

muskaan said...

Looking forward to your peace symbol!

Jane McLellan said...

A combination of the peace symbol and flowers seems very appropriate. Good tip to check the size of beads.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love your necklace and earring set! The colors are so refreshing, especially during dreary winter months. I can hardly wait to see how your peace symbol with flowers turns out!

Anonymous said...

I love your necklace and earring set! The peace symbol and flowers seems very nice.

Margarets designer cards said...

I love your necklace and earrings, something I did not know or realise that the size of beads can vary, thanks for that interesting fact, I will take more notice of my beads in future

FairyLaceAndMore said...

So beautiful jewelry set! And very nice color!