Saturday, February 3, 2024

Dragon and flower and towels and more

 

It was fun making this dragon bookmark designed by GaliciaBee! Her bobbin lace patterns are beginner friendly and are an excellent way to learn basic bobbin lace techniques.

Because I still need step-by-step guidance with bobbin lace, I also purchased GaliciaBee's Dragon 1 Video Course and followed her demonstration while making my dragon. 

Wow, wow, wow!!! I love the tatted flower pattern "Broosh Karen" from FairyLace. I chose colors that remind me of springtime for my brooch. It's a challenging pattern for advanced tatters. This project certainly provides plenty of practice with using a picot gauge. 

These colorful tea towels (aka bar mops, artsy rags) were all woven from the same warp. Finished after 2 years on the loom, since I don't weave very often.

An example showing 2 different brands of thread that were both labeled "size 10". Yes, both in the same pattern (my own "Duchess" necklace from "Boutique Tatting". The green was Hakelgarn brand, the black is Lizbeth. Well, fortunately the pattern still works with the larger thread, though I replaced the 2mm beads with large hole rondelles.

Finished a bracelet from my own "Heart Aglow" pattern in hand dyed thread. This item has been listed for sale in my Etsy shop here.


10 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Gorgeous work, all of it! The dragon really extends my idea of what bobbin lace is.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

What a wonderful display of your talents! I love your choices of colors in everything you do.

Margarets designer cards said...

Gorgeous dragon, and all those lace bobbins, that looks hard and a lot of work, but well worth it,
Beautiful towels, and bracelet. A wonderful display of your work

picotsnkeys said...

I don't weave very often too. I have a rep weave sample on the loom that needs finishing. But the tatting calls.......

God's Kid said...

Wow!!! You have been busy!!
Your dragon turned out fabulous!!! :)
And the tatted flower is gorgeous!!! :)
Your woven towels look great!! :)
Those are wonderful necklaces!!! :)
And that bracelet is gorgeous!!! :)

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

It's all beautiful, but I'm entranced by the dragon. I'm going to start again learning bobbin lace. It's been over 20 years since I've done any and I was just a beginner when I put it away to move. I'm going to look for that designer's book. She sounds like just what I need right now. Okay, maybe want would be a better way to put that. I'm going searching.

Phyllis said...

Your dragon is beautiful. Looks like you have a lot of patience for this piece.

Shanda said...

I have never been brave enough to try the Duchess . Love the dragon, and ordered the videos as well. I hope to be back in action the end of the week and you have inspired me to go for it.

BJ said...

Interesting how threads that are supposed to be the same sizes aren't I've found smaller differences in DMC and Lizbeth. Guess it's best to use what the pattern calls for if the size is important. BTW, beautiful dragon, towels, & flower. Have you ever tatted the dragon pattern by Anne Bruvold?

Marilee Rockley said...

BJ, I have the dragon pattern by Anne Bruvold started somewhere... in a safe place that I've long ago forgotten, LOL. If I run across it, I must prioritize finishing it!