Saturday, April 5, 2008

Adding a jump ring


I want to thank Celtic Dream Weaver for showing me how to add jump rings for jewelry so that they encircle the tatted ring, rather than just joining them to the ring as I had been doing.
 
It is a little more trouble, but it's good to have another choice, and I think it gives a more secure hold.
The thread needs to be unwound from the shuttle to be threaded through the jump ring.
The jump rings I always use in my tatted jewelry are either "split rings" (coiled like tiny key chains), or jump rings that have been soldered closed. The regular jump rings that have an opening are just too risky for fiber jewelry, in my opinion.

There is also a special tool, used by jewelry makers, called a split ring pliers. With this tool, you can open the metal split ring to go over the threads. This can be done while the tatted ring is in progress, or I've also used it to put the metal ring on over the finished tatted ring. Split ring pliers can be bought from jewelry making suppliers, such as Fire Mountain Gems.
November 2010 note: I've added another post about jump ring findings  http://yarnplayertats.blogspot.com/2010/11/split-ring-jewelry-finding.html
 -----------------------------
Here is also a picture showing my new shuttle from Lady Shuttle Maker! It is one of hers that has that "musical" quality!
-----------------------------
What I am working on in the photo is the "Vision" earring pattern, which is in my "Boutique Tatting" book.

10 comments:

Tattycat said...

Thanks for sharing the idea that Celtic Dream Weaver shared with you. Oh, more earrings to be! Isn't it fun working with Sherry's shuttles?

Tatskool said...

My thanks too, that looks like a good idea.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

My daughter Joanne makes beaded jewelry, and she also found it too risky to use a regular jump ring. I'm going to tell her about your posting today. She doesn't tat... yet! Maybe she'll be inspired when she sees some of your lovely pieces!

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you!
Laura, when I get time, I will add some clarifications to the pattern for the earrings. Yes, Sherry's shuttles are so cheerful looking and sounding.
I have one of those "split ring" pliers, maybe I could get the jump ring on without unwinding the shuttle - I'll try that next.
Diane, I hope your daughter will want to learn tatting - then there will be 3 generations of tatters in your family!

Unknown said...

Thanks for showing us that. I've done some beading in the past so I'll just tuck that away for later use. I love the light pink color and beads and the shuttle is just delicious to look at. YUMMY! BTW, you really do make lovely necklaces (there really is some scary tatted jewelry out there ~ your designs have given me hope)

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I can't wait to see your new experimental threads. Tomorrow all my dyeing supplies will be packed for the shipment to Korea. I am excited to see if I can discover any new threads while I'm over there.
Thank you for the plug....it is so humbling to me that people are enjoying my shuttles!
P.S. May I ask what kind of camera you use....your pictures are always fantastic!

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, tatting chic, that is so nice of you to say.
LadyShuttleMaker, my camera is just a Sony Cyber-shot. If I recall correctly, the camera guy said that Sony or Canon have better lenses for close-up work.

Unknown said...

You're welcome...and it's very sincere. I know your were answering Sherry's question, but I'm glad to hear that about the Canon being good for close-ups as that's what I have. YAY!

Jeff Hamilton said...

Thanks for sharing Marilee. I'll have try that next time I make tatted jewelry.

Marilee Rockley said...

Celtic Dream Weaver really deserves the credit for sharing the jump ring idea. I had absolutely no clue of how to get the jump ring to encircle the tatted ring, till she explained it very clearly.