Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Free Tatting Pattern for a Dissent Collar

 

The only techniques used in this pattern are ring, chain, reverse work, picot, join, and lock join. 

Tat the top row across first, shown in gray on the diagram. Then continue tatting down and up for each narrow section. The picots between the narrow sections need to be gradually larger to enable the sections to fan out nicely.

I made mine using size 10 thread, but since this collar is worn like a necklace, the size doesn't really matter.

This is the quickest I have ever designed a tatting pattern - only 4 days from just a vague feeling I should design a pattern based on RBG's dissent collar, to a finished collar, to a sharable diagram.
Top row and a section in progress

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

9 comments:

tatterjil said...

I love this pattern! What a great memorial to her.

picotsnkeys said...

That is a wonderful tribute to RBG. I will be tatting this as a gift.

Helen said...

Excellent work and a fine tribute to her.

Jane McLellan said...

It’s a beautiful collar even without the symbolism.

Judith Connors said...

A tribute. RBG wore so many attractive collars.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very nice! I've been thinking of tatting a collar, and this will be a great place to start. Thank you for sharing your pattern!

God's Kid said...

Your necklace is so pretty!! :)

Marilee Rockley said...

Thank you! The top row by itself can be a simple necklace also. While I was in the designing process, my first try was without the 1-1 chains between the rings and it was soon obvious that was going to be too crowded. So, don't forget to tat the 1-1 chains!

Nona said...

This is great! I've been admiring RBG's collars for awhile and was trying to find a good pattern so I can tat one myself. This fits the bill! Thank you.