Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Knit sweater progress and CWJ thinking


The sweater has reached the stage of stitch holders for the front sections while continuing to knit the back. In the photo it's with some new fabric that I purchased to sew a skirt. Included is the Shell Pendant from my Craftsy class and here's the reason I have it out (other than it coincidently does look good with the future ensemble!)

Someone asked for instructions on tatting the shell so that it would face the opposite way. Well, the easiest is simply to tat it as written, then turn it over - but then it's back side up (which most people wouldn't really notice) but we tatters do notice the details, do we not?
So mostly, "back side" up tatting means making the double stitches in reverse order (2nd half first, 1st half second) but then we reach the Catherine Wheel Joins (CWJ) on the smooth outer curve. A recent search of the Internet didn't turn up instructions for tatting CWJ from the back side, so I guess I'll need to do a video of it myself. Let me know if someone else does have a tutorial for "Back side" CWJ! Anyway, it's been added to the to-do list.

Weaving has not progressed very far but here's a photo for those interested.

It's quite jazzy with all the colors and pattern jumbled up together; I like it! Also it's giving me more ideas!

On an unrelated note - literally a music note - I just found out the musician's concert seating for the December 1st concert of the community orchestra I play cello in. I've been assigned to first stand! (The first row of cellos nearest the conductor.) So, it means I had better not skimp on the practicing!!! Ah well, all this excitement keeps my mind occupied with good things.

11 comments:

picotsnkeys said...

I say good things....Yes!!!
I'm sure you'll be a great first stand cello. They must like your bowing suggestions.

Marilee Rockley said...

@picotsnkeys, thank you!
To clarify I'm not principal cello, just sitting next to the principal at the "first stand". Everyone has their own music stand, though. For me, it's mainly because I have trouble seeing the music on a shared stand. In general everyone is "social distancing" so that's why each player in the orchestra has their own stand for this concert.

Anonymous said...

First stand cello sounds terrific to me! :) The sweater is looking great, and the weaving is stunning! All sorts of good things going on.
StephanieW

God's Kid said...

Looks like an awesome outfit coming together!! :)
Your weaving is so pretty!! So....what are you weaving??
I hope you have a great holiday time in the orchestra!!! :)

Jane McLellan said...

Progress on so many fronts!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

You have so many good things going on! I love seeing your progress on each of your projects. Your concert news is very exciting. Remember when you brought your cello to Tollway Tatters and played for us?

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks, everyone!

@God's Kid, the weaving project is small towels, kitchen or hand towels. Sometimes they end up being used as place mats or table runners.

@Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane, yes, I remember! Such fun!

muskaan said...

Your weaving is so appealing 💜💜
I took stepwise pics for working the CWJ from backside last year as part of my Lock Join Plus series, but have not had the opportunity to create the pdf.
But your video (and pictorial) on CWJ is one of my favourites! You should certainly go ahead and demo.
I have also shared my lazy-tatter's tweak of CWJ from the back --- add or subtract the last half-stitch just before the join, then make the CWJ as normal 😁

Marilee Rockley said...

@muskaan thank you! Your creative expertise is always inspiring. I like your "lazy-tatter's tweak" of CWJ from the back - so smart, easy, and excellent results! It seems to me the perfect solution.

Lavinia said...

Good luck with the concert! I really like the jazzy fabric you are weaving there! I think the CWJ from the back side video would be helpful for many tatters.

Marilee Rockley said...

@Lavi thank you for your feedback! Okay, the CWJ from the back demo is definitely on the "to-do" list.