Monday, October 31, 2022

Dye batch "Poinsettia"

 


My goal with "Poinsettia" was to come up with something a bit Christmas-y but more colorful than the standard red+white+green commonly available commercially. My inspiration was the Poinsettia plants themselves, which come in varying shades of red, pink, white, and... purple? Well, I have seen photos online of purple Poinsettias but I suspect those might be artificially colored with dye, ha! 

Well, purple is often used in Advent season (the weeks leading up to Christmas) so there it is. Oh, and the golden yellow is the actual flowers in the center of the colorful "bracts" which are really modified leaves - who knew?

This hand dyed thread has just been listed in my Etsy Shop.



6 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That's a beautiful color combination!

God's Kid said...

That colorway is totally awesome!!! :)
I guess I am so used to just the red poinettias that this doesn't say poinsettia to me, but I did work in a florist shop and with lots of colored poinsettias(not purple though) and I can see the plants all mixed together in this. ;)
Although, I love the cream and pink poinsettias most. ;)

Jane McLellan said...

I have poinsettias in my garden, though they’re not so associated with Christmas here as they are in the Northern hemisphere. Certainly you need that pop of yellow for the centre of the ‘flowers ‘.

picotsnkeys said...

I like the color combination! Especially with the white sections between!

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful colouring thread

zarina said...

I would love to see it in action.